This year, I decided to start being more sustainable, as a New Year’s Resolution. It wasn’t a S.M.A.R.T. goal. It was just something I wanted. So I’m riding that out, figuring out what that means for me. I’ve been pondering things today, as I flew to NYC to work, taking some notes. Finally, I thought, “Welp, I might as well write this all down somewhere.” So here we are, a new corner of my blog, dedicated to sustainability. It’s a place for my concerns, my confusion. My successes, and my less-than-successes. Maybe someone will read it and decide it helps them too, or at least keeps them company in their confusing journey to trying to be a better steward of this earth.
Where I am in general:
- I just started a vermicompost situation. Plenty of updates on that in the future
- I feel guilty about the waste I create
- I really like bubbly water and I buy a lot of carbonated water
- I bike or ride the bus a lot to work
- I am considering getting a solar charger for my phone
That doesn’t really tell you much. But it’s where I am. I’m a Denverino and I love the outdoors. I want to preserve it if I can help. Also, today I noticed that NYC has a lot of trash. A LOT. It’s stacked up in piles as tall as me. Ew.
- I really, really wanted a coffee at the airport but didn’t bring my reusable mug, so I bought a new one. To be fair, I’ve had mine for probably 8 years and it’s sort of leaky. Plus, I’ll be able to use it the whole time I’m in NYC (+1 for reusability)
- I opted out of dairy in my coffee, but not for lack of trying. I couldn’t open my new mug (+1 for no dairy/-1 because it wasn’t for lack of trying)
- I opted out of snacks at the airport and on the plane because, well, plastic everywhere. I ate a few Cuties because that’s all I remembered to bring for a snack (+3… lot of self restraint)
- I took public transit to the airport because Lyft was super expensive (+1 for me, and +1 for my expenses)
- I flew across the country (-1)
- I used my reusable water bottle, but I might have just opted for dehydration without it (0)
- I dried my hands on my coat instead of using a papertowel. (+1 for the planet, -1 for the public judgement I get for drippy hands)
- I went to get food at a fast food Indian place, which was sub par. All the waste was compostable… but still felt like trash. (-1)
- I forgot to bring my own bar of soap to the hotel, but I’m taking this one with me so I don’t waste at least.
It’s a roller coaster, people. Everyday. Am I ahead in the saving-the-planet game? I’m probably way behind. Does it only matter about what I’m choosing today? Or am I still battling my way back from a childhood of styrofoam cups and plastic disposable plates? I don’t know where I’m going on this journey, but it’s all going here.